the embroidery i do is most often done with 2 or three strands, especially for splitting stitches. now i have realized that for finer work, one strand can be successfully split also, it is actually plied, that is 2 smaller strands twisted. so it works fine for making hairline details and has an added benefit of a flatter surface and a more pliable result. the process is of course a bit slower. (i use a large eye #10 needle)
.....i wanted to define the eyes a bit to contrast with the fade out of the rest of the figures. and since they are ancient i wanted some "night of the living dead" style eyes.....
....i got a bit carried away...even added another layer of appliqué to define the saxophone. i used a method i now call peekaboo applique. the shape is already drawn and i cut a piece of fabric larger than the shape and lay it on top. then i turn the edges under and sew down, peeking under, needle turning as i go, to find the sewing line. the extra layer gives some relief to the surface.
as an added note, i quilted the appliqué down roughly before adding details to give the figures a more primitive folk doll look.
the faces are slowly evolving and the music will be next.
from what if #27