Numbering just to keep track. Why not?
In a way I am measuring time.
So I marked this one 1. I do remember starting here. The old cloth has writing woven right in. But it is hard to see what it says. An old cotton sateen, but not that old. This is the first 6" block I made. Just one piece. A beginning. I drew a 1 and wrote the word one. not sure which way to go. But beginnings, including this one, are often like that. I slipped when I drew the 1. I will erase that little slip by stitching (split backstitch) over it with thread. It is a record all the same. As I go I will fill in the squares on the paper with numbers. This will help me map out the basic layout. For now.
It is raining today so it was nice to see the sun block right next to 1. It will be 2. Not that it was, but it is now. I wanted to do do a bit of video here, but the day is too dark and rain makes me lazy about those things.
This block looked like this before the face wore off. I had padded it with a piece of batting, and noticing it was the synthetic kind, I cut it off instead of recovering it. I don't use the polyester kind of batting ever any more. Polyester is "hard". It can actually cut through old cloth (which I use a lot) as it rubs. Not to mention that the fibers migrate and get into your skin. So. Gone. These things I learned later, so now I go forward with where my thought have arrived.
So you can see, I had arranged the petal appliques around a circle and then added a padded circle to the center and then covered that with cloth and quilted the face which gave it dimension.
I think I will try something like this for the mending:
This video is from one lesson in the Sun Mon Stars workshop