Adjusting again to smaller living. The warm spell helped us save wood. Made it possible to get through it all without needing to add to the wood pile. Maybe. That would be nice.
I stitched question marks last night. Fireside. Continuing from yesterday. Here the light coming through the cloth. I can't find my tripod, so here, below, is a very crappy shaky video with bad lighting.
Funny how that doesn't bother me anymore... just want to play show and tell.
click here if you see a black box or no player. Sometimes that happens.
I drew the marks first. White pencil on the dark areas, black on the lighter areas. Split Back Stitch with two strands of floss over that. I used a color in sympathy with the color the line was on. Sort of matching, but sympathy is a better word. Using what I had that was close really.
I love that the cloth is held together by questions. Quilted with confusion even. Maybe not even obvious if I hadn't said it.
I am always confused, but maybe it isn't obvious if I don't share it (said that to myself).
So this cloth might feel better than it looks. And so many questions, confusion, feels good and has a use. Is comforting. How great a morning this has become.
I placed it over a few things that were hanging on the wall. To watch it become the center of something. I like the one block as a center idea. Instead of repeating the block over and over in one piece. Maybe just as a way to honor it.
Expect the block to shrink as you work, the seams depending on how big you make them, diminish the size of what shows. Of course, like everything we do, we get to sense how it might go. And we work with that. Come to love it.
I like how the circle got cut off. I didn't plan that, this time.
And my audio here turned into a bit of a cobble as well after a mis-speak.
So I marked this one 1. I do remember starting here. The old cloth has writing woven right in. But it is hard to see what it says. An old cotton sateen, but not that old. This is the first 6" block I made. Just one piece. A beginning. I drew a 1 and wrote the word one. not sure which way to go. But beginnings, including this one, are often like that. I slipped when I drew the 1. I will erase that little slip by stitching (split backstitch) over it with thread. It is a record all the same. As I go I will fill in the squares on the paper with numbers. This will help me map out the basic layout. For now.
It is raining today so it was nice to see the sun block right next to 1. It will be 2. Not that it was, but it is now. I wanted to do do a bit of video here, but the day is too dark and rain makes me lazy about those things.
This block looked like this before the face wore off. I had padded it with a piece of batting, and noticing it was the synthetic kind, I cut it off instead of recovering it. I don't use the polyester kind of batting ever any more. Polyester is "hard". It can actually cut through old cloth (which I use a lot) as it rubs. Not to mention that the fibers migrate and get into your skin. So. Gone. These things I learned later, so now I go forward with where my thought have arrived.
So you can see, I had arranged the petal appliques around a circle and then added a padded circle to the center and then covered that with cloth and quilted the face which gave it dimension.
I think I will try something like this for the mending:
This video is from one lesson in the Sun Mon Stars workshop
click here to watch the video if you see no player or a black box.